Sunday, February 20

Lemon madeleines with rhubarb and strawberry jam

02_10---Lemon-Madeleines

Are madeleines still madeleines if they're not shaped like shells? Or are they one of those things whose name is determined by their shape and not by the ingredients used to create them? My source of all knowledge (that is, wikipedia) describes madeleines as "very small sponge cakes with a distinctive shell-like shape", if wikipedia is too be believed then a cake using the madeleine batter without the shell shape wouldn't be a madeleine at all. Do you think this is the case? Would it be wrong to call my square little cakes madeleines and, if so, what should they be called instead?

Naming conventions aside, these little lovelies do taste like madeleines. They're quite soft and light. Out of all these recipes I've tried so far this one is probably my favourite. Flavour-wise, they're just plain old lemon which when paired with delicious jam is perfectly acceptable.

I paired my madeleines with rhubarb and strawberry jam. Rhubarb and strawberry is a much appreciated combination, and for a good reason. It never fails to deliver a nice punch of flavour. Jam is so simple to make that it surprises me that more people don't do it. Maybe there's some kind of myth that it's a complex process which requires special equipment and that if you don't get it right you'll end up ruining everything and wasting all your delicious ingredients? Or maybe people do make jam and just don't tell me about it because they know I'll eat it all? I'm actually leaning towards the latter!

02_10---Lemon-Madeleines-2

Lemon madeleines with rhubarb and strawberry jam

Lemon madeleines

(from Chelsea Bakes)
makes 24 madeleines

100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
100g (1/2 cup) butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
130g (1 cup) icing sugar
melted butter, extra
icing sugar, extra

Using the extra melted butter, grease two 12 hole madeleine tins. Preheat the oven to 160°C (350°F)

In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Set aside.

in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs, lemon zest, and juice on high speed until light and pale; about 5 minutes. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat for a further 5 minutes, or until thick.

Turn off the mixer and gently fold the sifted flour into the egg mixture until smooth and no lumps remain. Transfer the mixture to a piping bag pitted with a 1cm (1/2 inch) tip. Pipe the mixture into the madeleine tins, filling each hole about 2/3 full.

Bake the madeleines for 8-10 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and cool for 1-2 minutes. Loosen the biscuits with a knife and then invert on to a wire rack. Cool completely then sprinkle with icing sugar just prior to serving

Rhubarb and strawberry jam

(adapted from One More Bite
makes approximately 800ml)

300g rhubarb
360g strawberries
2 lemons
300g white sugar
100g brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Wash the rhubarb, then trim off the poisonous leaves and discard them. Chop the rhubarb into 1-2.5cm (1/3-1 inch) pieces. Hull the strawberries, and cut them into similar sized pieces as the rhubarb. Leave some whole, if desired.

Peel the lemons using a vegetable peeler, then squeeze the lemons into a bowl lined with muslin. Bundle up if muslin so that it contains the seeds of the lemons and the juice is left in the bowl.

Place the fruit, sugars, lemon juice, lemon rind, nutmeg, and bundle of lemon seeds in a heavy-based saucepan and stir to combine.

Increase the heat. When the mixture begins to boil and froth, turn the heat down and cook the jam over lower heat for 30-40 minutes. Place a plate in the freezer for testing the consistency later on, or alternatively use a thermometer.

Whilst the jam is cooking, wash your jars thoroughly in hot soapy water and dry upside down on a rack, or in a 100°C (210°F) oven.

To test the jam; drop a spoonful on a cold plate, wait for 30 seconds, then run your finger through it. If the jam stays split down the middle, it's ready. If you are using a thermometer, the jam will be ready when the temperature reaches 104°C (219°F).

Ladle the jam into your pre-washed jars, filling approximately 1.5cm (1/2 inch) from the top. Place the lids on. At this point, you can either turn the jars upside down and leave them until them until the seals pop, or pasteurise them by wrapping the jars in cloth and placing them in a saucepan of boiling water for 15 minutes. If you pasteurise the jars by boiling, make sure the water level is always a couple of centimetres (or about an inch) higher than the top of the jars. Leave then to cool in the water then store in the cupboard until required.

14 comments:

  1. I love madeleines... In fact, I'm pretty sure that you can call yours madeleine even if these doesn't have the "right" shape. I don't know either why people are so affraid of jam. It's simple, it's good... I'm still waiting for summer to prepare some! Lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photo and YES, please call them Madeleines!! You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful looking. I love the ridges on them. Such a nice change from the usual shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very lovely! It's funny that you argue about the name for it. I haven't try making madeleines yet because I don't have the pan. Now that I see you using other than a shell pan, I'm also tempted to do the same ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a chocolate mold with just that shape! Now when I make madeleines for the first time, I may just use it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as always, so beautiful.
    i've actually avoided making madeleines because i don't have shell molds. you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If they use a madeleine batter I would say they are still madeleine's. Regardless of what you call them, they look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look delicious! What type of madeleine tins are you using? Mine always come up with ugly ones, with some of the skin sticks to the pan. Very frustrating! It is a cute shape, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there!

    I've awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award over on my page, hope you enjoy, you have a lovely site!

    Anna

    http://youmustbemaud.blogspot.com/2011/02/stylish-blogger-award-and-little-info.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kim - Thanks, I hope when summer comes around you make lots of delicious jams!

    @Sheila, Carolyn, & Jun - Thanks, glad to be of service!

    @little daisy & angry asian - I'm glad not having not having the right shape mould won't stop either of you!

    Jun (again!) - I've also found this is a problem. The square tins I used are just aluminium one without a non-stick coating. A few stuck but most were fine. When I used an actual nonstick madeleine tin coated with butter and flour they all stuck. I find they release easier when I use store-brought cake release and leave them to a cool a little in the tin before turning them out.

    Jennifer - I'm glad you agree too, thanks!

    Maud - Thank you, that's so sweet! I'm touched.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Taranii, I just saw you tried my madeleine recipe and I'm so glad I found your blog! Your photographs and writing are so beautiful. The madeleines look delicious and I think I might have to try your jam recipe sometime--it sounds and looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Clesea - Thanks, I'm glad I found your blog too, the madeleines were quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Taranii! Your jam looks amazingly lush. I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe and that it worked out for you.

    ReplyDelete